Wednesday, May 23, 2007

How to send a text message to your desktop.

I used to carry a notebook for reminders and ideas but they always get washed, or I forget to check them, etc. My old phone used to have a note program that would post a note as the wallpaper and I loved it but I gave that phone to mike when I switched to tmobile. My current phone, a razr, doesn't have that.

Anyway, I wanted to be able to send a text message and have it as a note on my desktop the next time i checked my computer. I devised a pretty easy way to do it for free.

1) Have a cell phone with text message capabilities, preferably your own because the number has to be linked to #2

2)Have a google account, such as a gmail account.

3)Create a google calendar.

4)Link it to your mobile phone number, under settings.

5)Get a widget for Dashboard or Konfabulator
that checks your google calendar for you.

6)Send a text message to GVENT to add a new event to your Google Calendar.

7)Voila! It shows up on your desktop! if you want it to stay for a few days, set your widget to shows the events for the next week, and add a date in the near future, or just add tomorrow.

It's worked great for me the last few days and it was free! other than the cost of the text message.

No comments: