Monday, June 25, 2007

3d pictures

I saw a marquee at walgreens a few days ago that said they were selling those keychain digital cameras for on;y $10, so i got the idea to make a small 3d stereoscopic camera. I like taking stereo images but its hard with a single camera. that you are hand holding. you kind of have to get lucky that way. This way takes the guess work out of it, though since it's a $10 camera, the image quality suffers. Have a look! To view these, look at the image cross eyed and line up one of the objects in the image and then sort of relax your eyes and it should work. Sort of like a magic eye. Clicking on the pictures will take you to the picasa album, with all 5 pictures.



The first picture there of the actual camera was taken with my other camera. Again, i just got lucky that it worked out. I took a piece of wood, marked where my pupils were using a mirror, lined up the cameras' pupils and stuck them on with velcro. I'd like them to be mounted permanently, except that the USB ports would be blocked. Here's the samples i made this evening. The camera seems to work best in a lot of light.















I hope you enjoyed them. I hope to get some pretty good ones at work tomorrow, or on the train to work, or at least when there is some sunlight. I've seen some stuff on making a tripod mount so you can do it with a single camera. I might try to do that too.

3 comments:

JimmyB said...

Awesome! A couple of them like the one of your dragonfist didn't work so well because I think the camera's were tilted. But if you crook your head to the side, whichever way, it'll fix it and then your able to see all the fucking clutter in your kitchen, holy shit dude!

chris said...

that's actually the downstairs kitchen/arts and crafts room/lab.

chris said...

yeah and just crook your head, lazy.