Thursday, June 28, 2007

Harmonia axyridis

After three tries i finally got a time lapse of my ladybugs emerging from they pupated states as adults. Please enjoy. Things to look for: Wings filling with fluid, and spots appearing on the wing covers. This ladybird beetle is Harmonia axyridis, the Asian Spotted Ladybird Beetle. A native of Japan, it was introduced as pest control. The time lapse is a picture every ten seconds. You can see the date and time in the corner, so you can see how long this process took over the course of the morning, starting at about 7 am.



here's a some pictures of its life cycle, minus the reproducing because i let it go. All photos by me.







and here's a picture of the setup for the time lapse. Click on it for the stereoscopic version!

3 comments:

JimmyB said...

It's a good thing Ladybird's don't stay in their larval stage, or else I might hate the ugly SOBs. Instead they become super cute and eat and even uglier bugs like aphids. That's why Ladybirds are my favorite! I dropped 'Ladybirds' like I remembered it before I read it! Do they eat their cocoon at all, for nourishment? Or for fun?

chris said...

it looks like it ate part of the cocoon, probably for fun and profit.

i am the diva said...

that was awesome. Totally rad