Sunday, September 9, 2007

i got back from eureka/arcata about 10 minutes ago. the drive to arcata took around 7 hours, the drive back took almost 9. I took a mild detour, driving 10 mph on a dirt road, because I had pulled off to see some elk. A guy looking at the info plaque told me that at fern valley there were two gigantic bucks as well as the rest of the herd. He also said that fern valley was "jurassic park-like" so I was sold.

I headed up the dirt road which was very much like driving in rally-racing style video games, but not nearly as fun since our car's shocks are struts are totally shot. It was an 8 mile drive to fern valley. At 4 miles there was a small booth where I not only had to pay money, I also realized it had taken me nearly 25 minutes to drive 4 miles. So I turned around, not wanted to spend another hour and a half on a dirt road. When I got back to the entrance, not only were there two giant bucks, one was threaening a woman on crutches and the ranger was yelling at her to back away. A lot of people got pictures of that. Since i was the next closest and she could sort of see me, I paid her the respects of not capturing her humiliation on film. I did get pictures of the elks, but they are on real film that has to be developed.

My legs are tired and it's hot here. Arcata and the wedding we nice. John and his roomates were SUPER nice and upon his arrival home, John made me very spicy chicken tacos with a glass of club soda. Homemade tortillas and everything, which I made after some direction. I'm sending them a thank you gift of trader joe's pepitas (john's favorite) and some stumptown coffee tomorrow.

No comments: