Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Accepted!

I got my letter of acceptance from OSU this morning, which is a relief. However, it had me listed as a non-resident of Oregon, which worried me, since I sent a huge packet of proof (over 80 pages) that I am in fact a resident of Oregon, on Friday. I called the woman who determines residency and she said that she received the packet yesterday, and that its separate, so that classification on my acceptance letter is not final. That's another relief, because its a $12,000/year difference.

I started the spring term on monday. Chemistry 223, Physics 203 (which is mostly electronics and should be fun), a biology project, and an online class learning Adobe Dreamweaver. The last one is because i needed two more credits to be a full time student, and i think it will be fun. It was that, or a purely html/xhtml class, which if i really want to, I can take over the summer. But i doubt that i will really want to.

Yolanda got me a shortwave radio for my birthday, so that I could look for numbers station broadcasts. The first one was a grunding mini300 which got pretty decent SW reception (and incredible FM reception, though I only listen to 2 FM stations that come in pretty clearly anyway) but was missing the frequencies that most numbers stations are broadcast on. I exchanged it for a Radio Shack brand one, that also gets great FM reception, but almost no SW reception, even the 10.00 universal time code broadcast, BBC, CBC, or anything else that is high-powered. I read that shortwave is very touchy and can vary from day to day in terms of reception, but i've tried it at different times of the day for 3 days now and have heard nothing except hip hop very faintly. The next step up in shortwave radios is a jump of like $60 bucks. i don't think its worth it, so I am going to try and return it this afternoon, and just be satisfied with these recordings.

No comments: