Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Corvallis and the Helvetica Scenario


I went down to Corvallis this weekend to check out the campus, the town, and to talk to a potential landlord and a potential roomate about some rooms and apartments come fall-time. I liked to area a lot for the short time that I saw it. I got super lost at one point too. It's weird seeing a town that is so proud of the school that's there. The town seems to be there for the college and nothing else. Everybody has OSU hoodies, OSU stickers on the cars, OSU flags flying, etc. The area reminded me a lot of olympia, washington. A lot of people said that Corvallis is boring, but I don't know what they want. Clubs? Cinemas? I dunno. Looked nice to me.

I met with a guy named Tim who's really nice. The room he's offering is cheap and the place is all furnished and networked up since he's a computer science major. He pointed out the server in his room with 600 movies on it, and that it all streams to the PC in the living room hooked up to the TV with the XBOX and the Wii. He also had futurama and penny arcade posters in his room. I decided that i really wouldn't find a better price or personality match, so i told him today that i'd like the room, and he said good. The apartment is close enough to campus that I can walk or bike (or there's a free bus every 1/2 hour) the rent is not much more than I pay now, and it's pretty much completely furnished except for my room. I lucked out, I think. I am lucky that it was so easy and it's all done. His girlfriend is moving up to tacoma in august, when I will move stuff in and start paying rent. I can even take the dog.

I talked to another lady that had a basement apartment, and she told me that I was her first pick if the current one didn't go through, but I decided that it was too expensive and the extra room would go mostly unused. The lady was super nice and worked at the school in the botany dept. We talked for a long time about her research with fungus and slugs, and also about the bugs in her yard. I would have enjoyed living there, but if i'm not going to be working while in school, at least next year, I felt like I shouldn't blow all my funds on rent.

If you don't have one, I suggest getting a 10x jeweler's scope. They look pretty great and you can look at things close up. I got one down the street at the rock shop for $1.25. There's a picture of me wearing one tonight whilst I was pinning some beetles at the top of this post.

if you haven't watched them yet, I suggest you click over to NOEL'S BLOG and check out his latest two movies. Solid Gold.

Also, I think that "Look Around You" might be my favorite show ever:

2 comments:

Side-up-down said...

Thanks chris, plus that look around you is hilarious. I'll surely come visit you in Corville. (bet they call it that)

i am the diva said...

i just discovered Look Around You this weekend, and it may be MY fave new show!!!