Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Speed Racer


I watched Speed Racer this morning while I did some physics homework, and I actually enjoyed it a lot. If you aren't a big fan of the cartoon, then you probably won't like it, but if you do like the cartoon, it's pretty good. I won't go into a long review, except to say that it's perfectly cast (except for spritle and MAYBE sparky, but the fact sparky is in it is great), the Warchowski brothers chose exactly the right elements to keep, including the way Pops Racer clunks heads together during fights, and to keep Snake Oiler as Speed's rival during races (though he's sort of different, and there's no mention of "the car acrobatic team", and the original music throughout. The only thing that it was missing was constant reminders from the narrator about who Racer X is, and Speed's erotic groaning, and the fast, erratic, dialogue resulting from trying to match mouth movements when translated to english. Also, Speed has next to no internal dialogue. The cartoon is saturated with it. Some parts are embarrassingly stupid, but whatever. It's a Speed Racer live-action movie, and I think it's meant for nine-year-olds. Feel free to make fun of me if you want.

The movies exciting with cars flipping all over the fucking place and exploding and if you can see it for free, I'd say do it. There's not an ounce of realism in it and its totally predictable. I was very, very surprised that I liked it as much as I did, but then again, I am always surprised that I like the cartoon as much as do.

I'm up to 50 bucks now as a chacha guide. I answered 10 bucks worth tonight while working on this insect pamphlet. Most of the questions people ask are about rabbis in brooklyn, and about people in SLC, Utah. So many questions from brooklyn! They must be advertising there a lot.

1 comment:

molby said...

that costume is amazing.